Survey: Physician Recruiting Initiatives will Change to Meet Needs of ACOs
The growing movement towards Accountable Care Organizations will prompt changes in how healthcare organizations recruit physicians and non-physician providers, according to a recent survey from The Medicus Firm, a physician search firm.
From August 29 through September 14, 2012, The Medicus Firm surveyed over 200 healthcare employers and hospital systems regarding their current ACO status, and any related developments in their physician recruiting processes and initiatives for the near future.
Below are FIVE key ways that ACOs will impact recruitment of physicians and non-physician providers, according to the respondents.
1. Volume of providers recruited may increase, particularly non-physician providers, and primary care physicians. Eighty percent, and 56% of respondents plan to increase their hiring of non-physician providers, and primary care physicians, respectively.
2. Employers may seek different traits and characteristics in physician candidates. An overwhelming majority of respondents report seeking more team-oriented physicians, and those who are more motivated by quality incentives, among other traits that will be a new focus for healthcare systems seeking physicians.
3. More physicians will be employed, rather than being added via a private practice model, according to 75% of respondents.
4. Physician compensation, including level of income earned, and structure of salary and incentive plan, will change. A salary plus quality-based incentive was favored by 61% of executives who indicate this as their ACO’s physician pay structure. The respondents didn’t seem to project a huge swing in either direction for physician income in general. However, most agree that physicians’ incomes will be impacted based on individual performance in relation to the newly structured incentive plan for the ACO.
5. Physician recruiting may become more challenging – as projected by 35% of respondents.
For a complete report of the 2012 ACO survey, please email surveys@TheMedicusFirm.com.